FALL 2022: ZED IS BOOSTING ITS TRUE CRIME OFFER
Leading French documentary indie producer and distributor ZED (Manuel Catteau), announces a special True Crime focus in its new line-up with 4 new acquisitions, representing 12 hours of new programs in this booming genre.
- HIGHWAY TO HELL: THE STORY OF A $100M FAILURE – A 4 part documentary series of 52 minutes, directed by Clément Godart, Alexandre Mehring & Raphaël Rouyer, which in the style of “Fargo”, tells the incredible story of Martin Lepage, an ordinary man embarked in an outstanding international drug trafficking operation, on behalf of Colombian cartels and destined to North American dealers. Produced by Cat & Cie and Incognita Doc for Canal+, the series is slated for completion in Spring 2023.
- INSIDE THE ORDER OF THE SOLAR TEMPLE – Directed by Pierre Morath & Erick Lemasson this series rewinds the whole story of “The Order of the Solar Temple” cult. With exclusive access and testimonials, it offers an unprecedented dive into the mass suicide cult that shook the world 25 years ago.
This 4×52’ produced by YUZU Productions, Les Productions du Moment (France) & Point Prod (Switzerland) for RTS & Planète+, will be delivered by the end of 2022.
- THE SERPENT: CONVERSATION WITH A CRIMINAL – A documentary that unveils the true story behind the real-life criminal Charles Sobhraj who inspired the Netflix show “The Serpent”. This film is built around the first of its kind conversation with Charles Sobhraj himself, recorded directely from his jail in total secret for 17 years by the director Jean-Charles Deniau. Produced by ADAMIS Production for Planète+, the delivery of the film is scheduled for the end of 2022 and will be available in 90’& 2×45’.
- THE JERSEY WAY: INSIDE THE ISLAND’S SCANDALS – From the first crimes committed by a masked rapist in the 1960’s to the political scandal of the 2000’s, this relentless investigation reveals, in 4 episodes, the deep identity of the Jersey island, the last fiscal paradise located in the heart of Europe and held by powerful families who, for 50 years, have managed to cover up an incredible succession of criminal cases. Directed by Dominique Baumard & Antoine Guerre and produced by TDO & Mil Sabords for Planète+, the series will be available in late August 2022.
Charlotte TACHET – Head of distribution and acquisitions
As ZED is active in all documentary genres, we were eager to expand our True Crime catalog, which is in ever-increasing demand. Our producer partners have trusted us with the distribution of these 4 emblematic programs, which have seduced us by the care of their treatment and the quality of their unique accesses. They are available for pre-sales, and The Jersey Way: Inside the Island’s Scandals, which has just been finalized, can already be watched.
An independent producer and distributor, founded by Manuel Catteau some 25 years ago, ZED is a key player in French documentary production, with a raft of major international broadcasters among its clients: France Télévisions, Canal+, ARTE, BBC, National Geographic, Discovery, PBS, ZDF, NHK or ABC Australia.
Thanks to a strong team of 6 producers, ZED produces around 40 films a year, covering all genre in non-fiction: history, sciences, wildlife, investigation, current affairs and art & culture. With a catalogue of 2000 hours, ZED is also one of the major international sales companies and represents more than 130 prestigious French and foreign production companies, handling distribution of their output to broadcasters across the globe.
In the past few years, ZED has been nominated 5 times among the 10 Best French Producers of the Year, and has won three times the French Export Award that rewards the most well distributed programs abroad. In 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 ZED has been nominated by REALSCREEN as part of the Global 100, the annual snapshot of the best production companies working in the non-fiction industry.
Over the years, ZED has built its reputation by crafting high-end and acclaimed films, recognized in the most famous international festivals and very often garnering record audience ratings. Hitler Youth tapped into the 5 top rated programs on National Geographic US while Living Universe, a 4×52’ series about the search for the exoplanets, is currently a top performer for CuriosityStream. Its last production Hobbies was selected at the Cannes Film Festival (Short Film Palme d’Or Category), and recently Kalahari, Land of Secret Alliances gathered 2.85 million viewers (12.4%) in prime time on France 2.
- Ireland’s Kilkenny Animated
- Young people prefer niche digital products
- Education hardware market
- Blender 3.3 LTS release
- Cinesite Acquires Majority Stake in FX3X
- Animation! and the children’s channel Pakapaka join forces to promote Latin American talent
- From Pop-Up Store to Global Brand: King of Retail Releases on September 14th!
- Check out this exclusive Mahokenshi gameplay shown at PAX West!