GKIDS Serves Up ‘This Magnificent Cake!’ in LA March 1
“This Magnificent Cake! is like nothing I have ever seen before,” said David Jesteadt, GKIDS’ President. “It is a triumph of filmmaking and craftsmanship, to tell a story of such power and nuance through detailed stop-motion animation. As a critical examination of a dark legacy whose effects are still being felt today, this is a timely and provocative film that has already sparked conversations at film festivals around the globe.”
“We are very happy that Marc and Emma’s film has found a home at GKIDS, which is the best place for quality animation in the US,” said Jan Naszewski, CEO of New Europe Film Sales.
Synopsis: In the late 19th century, keen to compete with other European imperial powers on the continent, King Leopold II of Belgium proclaimed, “I do not want to miss a good chance of getting us a slice of this magnificent African cake.” The subsequent occupation of the Congo would come to attract a contingent of servants, merchants and miscellaneous bourgeois driven by everything from insatiable greed to existential fear. From the intimate stories of these characters — many of whom pass through a luxury hotel in the middle of the jungle – emerges a greater narrative concerning the imperialist mentality. In a film by turns surreal, darkly comic and brutal, directors Marc James Roels and Emma de Swaef ultimately turn their critical gaze on the colonists themselves in a work of stunning, mysterious beauty.
- Top 10 Upcoming Switch Games In 2019
- WildBrain Heads to ‘Moominvalley’ for Tove Jansson’s 105th Birthday
- Kevin Smith Shares Plans for New Netflix ‘He-Man’ Show
- Beloved Animation Legend Richard Williams Passes at Age 86
- The Angry Birds Movie 2
- Hayao Miyazaki to Be Honored in LA with 2019 Sklar Creative Visionary Award
- Techland Will Reveal Never Before Seen Footage of Dying Light 2 During Gamescom 2019
- Bungie Details Destiny 2 Armor 2.0 Update, Massive Changes Inbound