Oscar Contender ‘Weekends’ Extends Online Run to Jan. 14
Trying to start your year off with no regrets? Hopefully, then, you’ve been making a point to catch all the Oscar shortlisted animated short films that have been made available online over the last several weeks. Luckily, one such limited-release title, Trevor Jimenez’s Weekends, has extended its period of online availability through to January 14.
Also nominated for the 2019 Annie Award for best short, Weekends is a dreamy 2D short full of deeply personal reflection, about a young boy shuffling between the homes of his recently divorced parents — surreal moments mix with the realities of a split family living in 1980s Toronto.
Written, edited and directed by Jimenez, the short was produced by Jeremy Slome. Mattie Brehm is associate producer, Chris Sasaki is production designer, and the short features original music by Andrew Vernon. Weekends has picked up many accolades at festivals around the world, including the Audience Award and Jury Prize at Annecy, Special Jury Prize at Anima Brussels, Best International Short at 3D WIRE and Best Screenplay at Anima Mundi, plus honors from the international fests of Warsaw, Nashville, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Riverrun and more.
More From ANIMATIONWorld:
- Image Engine Brings ‘Lost in Space’ to GTC 2019
- Blur Studio Taps V-Ray for Netflix’s New NSFW ‘Love, Death & Robots’ Short Film Anthology
- ‘Captain Marvel’ Takes Flight
- Unity and NVIDIA Bring Real-Time Ray Tracing for 3D Production to the Table
- FIRST LOOK: Lisa Hanawalt’s ‘Tuca & Bertie’ Launches on Netflix May 3
- FEATURETTE: Meet the Voices Behind Paramount’s ‘Wonder Park’
- Dates Set for ‘Tom and Jerry,’ ‘Tiger’s Apprentice’
- Call for Entries: BIAF 2019