Minister Rodriguez announces appointment of Julie Roy as Executive Director of Telefilm Canada
Today the Minister of Canadian Heritage Pablo Rodriguez announced the appointment of Julie Roy as Executive Director of Telefilm Canada for a five-year term, effective April 3, 2023.
Julie Roy has almost 30 years of experience in the Canadian film industry, including senior leadership positions at the National Film Board of Canada (NFB). She has produced 50 animated works that have made their mark on the international scene and has designed numerous marketing campaigns. Her dual expertise in production and marketing contributes to her deep understanding of what resonates with the public both at home and abroad.
Ms. Roy led the NFB’s creative division before being appointed Director General and Head of Programming in September 2022. In this capacity, she oversaw all production studios across the country, as well as the distribution, marketing and merchandising units. She helped establish the NFB’s vision and programming goals to reach a wider audience nationally and internationally.
While directing the NFB’s production studios, Ms. Roy gained a national perspective on the documentary, animation and interactive creation sectors, as well as regional, linguistic and cultural realities. She is an advocate for diversity and inclusion both on-screen and behind it, to ensure a plurality of voices leads to authentic storytelling.
Ms. Roy holds a Master’s degree in Film Studies from the Université de Montréal and is a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. She has published numerous texts on women and animation and has been a guest programmer and jury member at numerous international festivals.
“With Julie Roy’s appointment as Executive Director, I am confident that Telefilm Canada’s important national goals will be strongly supported. Her extensive knowledge of the industry and her unifying and mobilizing leadership will help guide this organization well into the future. I would also like to thank Francesca Accinelli for serving as Interim Executive Director since September 2022.”
—Pablo Rodriguez, Minister of Canadian Heritage
Telefilm Canada is a Crown corporation in the Canadian Heritage Portfolio
- Cooler Master Unveils a Sizzling Showcase at Computex 2023
- The 2023 Greater Bay Area Science Forum was held in Guangzhou
- An Encounter of All Things Beautiful: The Cinematic Reboot of the Timeless Classic “Castle In The Sky”
- Sony & Warner Bros. Discovery Extend CEE Content Deal
- Tokyo Brings 2 Superb Animated Series to MIFA2023!
- Kanaban Graphics Comes to MIFA with Two Beautiful Animated Series for Kids!
- New Episodes of ‘Pokémon Ultimate Journeys: The Series’ Coming Soon to Netflix in the U.S.
- Eggy Party’s Workshop Creation & Social Media Contest Invites Online Creators To Show Their Talents