Get a free 43,200 x 21,600px displacement map of the Earth
VFX Assets has released a free 43,200 x 21,600px displacement map of the Earth that can be used to create detailed renders of the planet’s surface seen from space.
The texture – it’s a ‘low-res’ teaser for a truly gargantuan 172,800 x 86,400px commercial version – can be used in personal projects.
Recreate the Earth’s surface in 3D with a detailed free 43,200 x 21,600px displacement map
The asset consists of a view of the Earth’s surface, free of cloud cover and shown in cylindrical projection, provided as a greyscale 16-bit TIFF file with a corresponding RGB mask.
When used as a displacement map within a 3D application, it generates a detailed 3D recreation of the Earth’s surface.
The free version also comes with a sample of the full-res asset: one of the 32 UDIM tiles into hich it is divided, corresponding to the western side of the USA, Mexico and part of Central America.
The hi-res sample is also a 16-bit TIFF, and is 21,600 x 21,600px in size. The download also comes with an Alembic file and 3ds Max and Houdini scene files with UDIM UV mapping set up.
Licence conditions and download requirements
The 43,200 x 21,600px displacement map of the Earth is available to download free from VFX Assets’ Gumroad store. It is licensed for use in personal projects only.
(Due to Gumroad’s restrictions on the size of free assets, the zip archive you initially download contains a half-sized preview, plus a text file with the download link for the 43,200 x 21,600px map.)
The full 172,800 x 86,400px version is also available from VFX Assets’ Gumroad store, and costs CAD $30.
Download a 43,200 x 21,600px displacement map of the Earth via VFX Assets’ Gumroad store:
Source: Jim Thacker/CG Channel
- Identity V Achieves 300 Million Visitors Worldwide
- Cooler Master Raises the Bar with the Q300L V2: Unleashing the Full Potential of mATX Cases
- Gaming’s AI-enabled Future Materializes in Cygnus Enterprises
- InnoGames invites to IGJAM #14
- US Entertainment Enterprise Falcon’s Beyond and China Cultural Commerce Giant K11 Unveil Major Global ‘Retailtainment’ Venture
- ARTE announces its new video game The Merlies
- The Truth Seekers Anonymous’ Guide to Surviving Deceit 2
- Battling the Deep Fake Surge:Reality Defender Keeps it Real