EXCLUSIVE: GKIDS Releases New Teaser for ‘Okko’s Inn’
New feature from Studio Ghibli veteran Kitarō Kōsaka and famed anime studio Madhouse arrives in U.S. theaters this April.
Courtesy of independent animation distributor and producer GKIDS, here’s an exclusive look at Okko’s Inn, the new animated feature from Studio Ghibli veteran animator Kitarō Kōsaka and famed anime studio Madhouse.
Seamlessly blending immersive, idyllic landscapes with storybook charm, the anime feature follows Okko, who goes to live with her grandmother in the countryside after losing her parents. While she prepares to become the inn’s next caretaker, Okko discovers there are playful ghosts who live there, but only she can see them. Okko’s Inn delivers a rare ghost story that — despite the presence of several floating characters — is firmly grounded in the trials and joys of humanity.
Here’s the official synopsis, and you can watch the exclusive teaser in the player below:
After losing her parents in a car accident, Okko goes to live in the countryside with her grandmother, who runs a traditional Japanese inn built on top of an ancient spring said to have healing waters. While she goes about her chores and prepares to become the inn’s next caretaker, Okko discovers there are spirits who live there that only she can see — not scary ones, but welcoming ghosts who keep her company, play games and help her navigate her new environment. The inn’s motto is that it welcomes all and will reject none, and this is soon put to the test as a string of new guests challenge Okko’s ability to be a gracious host. But ultimately Okko discovers that dedicating herself to others becomes the key to taking care of herself.
More From ANIMATIONWorld:
- Netflix Sets February 15 Premiere for ‘The Dragon Prince’ Season 2
- 42nd Japan Academy Prize Animation Nominees Announced
- GKIDS Serves Up ‘This Magnificent Cake!’ in LA March 1
- White Snake Exposed the Production Feature
- Exclusive: Exposure of Behind-the-Scenes Concepts Picture Drafts
- Exclusive | Revealing Behind-the-Scenes Special Effects and Animation Performances of “White Snake: Origin”
- Michael Frei’s ‘KIDS’ to Screen at 69th Berlinale
- New York Children’s Film Fest Announces 2019 Feature Slate