The Prosperity of Peppa Pig
With Peppa Pig now appearing on most front pages, one question that might have been debated is “are conditions right for our next animated major export?” The British animated television series created, directed and produced by Astley Baker Davies, founder members of Animation UK, in licensed sales alone generates more than 150 times its original production budget. First broadcast in 2004 on Channel 5, it is now a global phenomenon. Peppa Pig is watched in 180 countries, with DVD sales, a video game and theme parks the Peppa Pig franchise is estimated to become a $2bn brand by the end of the decade. However, though it has enjoyed enormous success, Peppa Pig almost never happened. Astley Baker Davies was unable to secure the initial budget of £1.3m from commercial sources and had to raise £350,000 from friends and family. Even the Prime Minister Boris Johnson hailed preschool favorite Peppa Pig as an inspiring model for the U.K. economy.
However, could a perfect storm of the diminishing investment in UK originated Animation content, the lack of competitive tax relief and the need for more investment in skills, IP and innovation put this often-overlooked screen industry sector under threat?
Animation UK will continue to represent the voice of the sector on these issues, to support growth in the sector and increase our market share of this global boom in content.
For more information, please Stay tuned for further reports
- PRODUCTION SESSIONS AND TALKS PROGRAMS AT SIGGRAPH 2022 EMPHASIZES TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCES AND THE EVOLUTION OF COMPUTER GRAPHICS TECHNIQUES
- Multichoice wants to increase the skills of television actors in Africa
- CANNESERIES is announcing its next season!
- WildBrain Captures Global Distribution Rights to Harpercollins Productions’ Carmen Sandiego
- Galactic Ruler was officially released on August 3rd 2022
- 360 Demonstrates Core Capabilities
- Special effects ：Warriors of Future
- Assistive Technology Enters the Classroom With Holographic Sign Language Interpreters