‘Frozen 2’ Defrosts Overseas Box Office With $223 Million
In a box office debut fit for royals, Disney’s “Frozen 2” ignited the international box office with $223 million and $350 million globally.
“Frozen 2” opened at No. 1 in 37 foreign markets, passing “Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs” ($152 million) to secure the biggest international launch ever for an animated movie. China led the way with a strong $53 million, while Korea ($31.5 million), Japan ($18.2 million), the United Kingdom ($17.8 million) and Germany ($14.9 million) all posted promising opening weekends.
The original “Frozen” is still the highest-grossing animated movie in history with $1.3 billion globally, though the follow-up is off to a promising start after landing the biggest global debut ever for an animated film. The sequel takes Arendelle royalty Elsa (Idina Menzel) and Anna (Kristen Bell), along with Kristoff (Jonathan Groff) and Olaf (Josh Gad), beyond their kingdom to uncover the mystery behind Elsa’s mystical powers. Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck returned to direct, while original songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez wrote all new tunes.
By: Rebecca Rubin – Variety
- ZEISS CinCraft Mapper Delivers Precise Lens Data for Efficient VFX Workflows
- Dr. Russell Campbell On Returning In-Person To Teach Shader Programming
- RTL looks to build cross-media streaming giant
- Tokyo Announces Tokyo Animation Pitch Grand Prix Winners!
- German mobile games market grows by 22 per cent
- STUDIO 100 MEDIA’S ‘MIA AND ME’ MOVIE SET TO HIT BIG SCREENS
- Fingersoft brings Hill Climb Racing 2 to Facebook Gaming