ACADEMY OF INTERACTIVE ARTS AND SCIENCES OPENS SUBMISSIONS FOR GAME MAKER’S SKETCHBOOK
Produced in Collaboration with iam8bit and fortyseven communications, Game Maker’s Sketchbook Showcase Celebrates Video Game Art
Submissions Now Open; Selections to be Revealed With The Game Awards
The Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences (AIAS), dedicated to the advancement and recognition of interactive arts, has opened submissions for its annual arts showcase to promote and honor a broad spectrum of art by specific artists in video games. The selections will be announced with The Game Awards during the week of Dec. 5, 2022.
“Last year – our first year, and during the pandemic – we saw incredible submissions and an appetite from the industry and fans alike to recognize the amazing art in and around games,” said Meggan Scavio, president of the AIAS. “Game Maker’s Showcase spotlights art pieces that bring us different aspects of game universes and experiences, take us into the artists’ journey, whether with iconic or experimental images. We’re proud to partner once again with fortyseven and iam8bit to grow this platform, and this year we will be announcing our selections with The Game Awards.”
The Game Maker’s Sketchbook will collect submissions in the categories of Storyboard, Environment Art, Character Art, Iconography, Curiosities, and Impact.
Submissions will be open from September 8 – October 17, and the selections will be announced the week of December 5, 2022. Artwork must correspond with a video game title published publicly on or after January 1, 2022.
A jury of respected game artists, curators, and representatives from both within the games industry and adjacent sectors, including animation, film, and fine art, will be judging the submissions. This year’s jurists include:
- Scott Campbell
- Mariel Cartwright (Future Club)
- Jenova Chen (thatgamecompany)
- William Chyr
- Jon-Paul Dyson (Strong Museum)
- Jorge R. Gutierrez
- James Ham (Insomniac Games)
- Mike Jungbluth (BioWare)
- Tetsuya Mizuguchi (Enhance Experience)
- Maja Moldenhaur (Studio MDHR)
- Jane Ng (Valve)
- Rashad Redic (Brass Lion Entertainment)
- Katie Rice (Warner Bros)
- Cory Schmitz
- Almudena Soria Sancho (Naughty Dog)
- Adam Volker (Flight School)
- Kelly Wallick (Indie MEGABOOTH)
- Jen Zee (Supergiant Games)
Co-founded by the AIAS, creative production company iam8bit, and communications firm, fortyseven (47), the Game Maker’s Sketchbook was born from an industry-wide need and desire to better celebrate the visual arts in games, giving recognition to individuals who contribute incredible visual universes as well as simple joys and lasting impressions in interactive entertainment. The annual Game Maker’s Sketchbook exhibition will offer a chance for fans to order and buy prints and artifacts online, powered by iam8bit. The Academy will also offer spotlights and conversations with select artists through its podcasts and D.I.C.E.-related events.
For more details on submissions and rules, visit www.gamemaker sketchbook.com.
You can find last year’s selections at
- Annie Awards 2024: Call For Entries Now Open
- BCON tickets are available now!
- Eggy Party Officially Launches In SEA Region Alongside Brand New “Rock and Roll” Seasonal Event
- TTB & ATF Animation Lab & Pitch
- VMware and NVIDIA Unlock Generative AI for Enterprises
- Ubisoft Signs Deal for Streaming Call of Duty and Other Activision Blizzard Games
- Two Truths and a Lie about Deceit 2
- Lost Light Announces Season 7 Updates and North America Firefly Showdown