Hello Kitty movie: Animated character heading to Hollywood for first film adaption
‘Hello Kitty has been one of the most beloved characters around the world for the last forty-plus years’, says producer
A film based on the beloved Japanese toy Hello Kitty is being developed, which will bring her to the big screen for the first time in her 45-year history.
New Line Cinema is teaming up with Sanrio and FlynnPictureCo for the English language film, which marks the only instance that Sanrio – the company behind the toy – has granted film rights to the character and her friends. New Line said it had spent almost five years trying to acquire the film rights.
The announcement by New Line did not reveal whether the feature film will be animated, live-action, or both. It will include characters including Gudetama, the cracked egg character; the rabbit My Melody, and Little Twin Stars.
“I am extremely pleased that Hello Kitty and other popular Sanrio characters will be making their Hollywood debut,” said Sanrio founder, president and CEO Shintaro Tsuji.
“Hello Kitty has long been a symbol of friendship and we hope this film will only serve to grow that circle of friendship around the world.”
According to Variety, the film will be produced by Beau Flynn and executive produced by Wendy Jacobson.
“Hello Kitty has been one of the most beloved characters around the world for the last forty-plus years,” Flynn said. “We’re incredibly honoured that president Tsuji has entrusted us with the responsibility of bringing her story to the big screen globally for the first time ever, and it’s a dream that we get to do this with our long-term partners at New Line and Warner Bros.
“With the positive and family-oriented values that Hello Kitty and Sanrio embody, there has never been a better time than now to share her message with the world.”
By: Roisin O’Connor
Source from: independent UK
- ZAG Signs Over 30 Licensing Partners in Mexico for ‘Miraculous’
- SUPERPROD Group revitalizes HR policy an appoints Laléh Chloé Sahraï as Head of Recruitment & Talent Development
- Rainbow Six Siege: South Asia Nationals 2022 Coming This Winter
- Kidscreen Summit 2022 Speakers and Attendees Announced
- Try MediaRights Risk Free In A World…
- Intel Names Matt Poirier Senior Vice President of Corporate Development
- The International Animation Film Festival of Meknes (FICAM) in Morocco 2022
- THE SOMMETS DU CINÉMA D’ANIMATION CELEBRATE THEIR 20th EDITION