CHECKMATE SHOWDOWN IS OUT NOW!!!
ManaVoid Entertainment and BadRez Games are proud to announce that Checkmate Showdown is out right now on Steam,with a week-long 15% launch discount. Take a peek at the intense launch trailer just below, courtesy of the video team at Purple is Royal!
**Official Checkmate Showdown Tournament**
The 1st official Checkmate Showdown Tournament will be held in Early January 2024 – for ranked players only.
Upon release on November 15th, ranked players will have about 2 months to grind. The top 128 players will receive an invitation to our first official tournament with a prizepool of 1000$. You read that right – ONE. THOUSAND. DOLLARS. With a prizepool this big, this makes us one of the biggest indie fighting game tournaments ever.
We’re currently working on porting to PlayStation 5! We’re not sure when it will be ready but we’ll keep you all informed on the release date once we know more through Discord or Socials.
About Checkmate Showdown:
Inspired by the rising popularity of chessboxing, competitive chess streaming and the new golden age of fighting games, Checkmate Showdown is an online multiplayer competitive game mixing the strategical elegance of chess with the fast-paced execution of fighting games. Through its innovative dual-leveled gameplay, it will truly challenge players to a competition of mind and spirit.
Developed by a team of passionate fighting game players, Checkmate Showdown will feature the standard elements all fighting game enthusiasts expect with a robust combo system and a tight-knit combat approach that rewards skill over button mashing.
- True Test of Strategy & Skill: Checkmate Showdown will require the player to master a broad set of skills to become the best. Learn strategies for the board and elaborate combos for the fights to make your way to the top. The tag assist system depends on your pieces’ placement in the chess phase, so set yourself up for success by being two steps ahead of your opponent!
- Tactical Fighting Decision-Making: As each chess piece corresponds to a fighting game archetype, the choice of attacking with one or the other will be crucial. Strategize on the board but stay flexible as you’ll never know which type of fighter might come your way!
- Strong competition system: Checkmate Showdown is made by a team of hardcore fighting game enthusiasts who understand the importance of competition in fighting games. The game aims to feature the most up-to-date matchmaking technology and balancing to allow for friendly (or not!) competition. The game is built using rollback netcode to ensure the most precise fighting experience possible.
- Community at Heart: Based in the heart of Montreal, the development team thrives from its proximity to the local fighting game community. The game is made by fighting game enthusiasts for fighting game enthusiasts.
About ManaVoid Entertainment
Founded in 2014, ManaVoid creates video games that mix genres, themes and popular mechanics in order to create innovative and unique experiences. After launching Rainbow Billy: The Curse of the Leviathan to critical acclaim (84 Metacritic) in 2021, the team is also currently working on a roguelike city-builder titled Roots of Yggdrasil alongside Checkmate Showdown.
About BadRez Games
Founded by Mathias Theys and Jon Cote, BadRez Games is born from their shared love of fighting games but also from the realization that the genre has mechanically not evolved at the same pace as other genres. Checkmate Showdown follows this direction and aims to offer a more strategically complex competitive game than other fighting games while delivering a sensational fighting game experience!
- Game Developers Conference (GDC)’s 12th Annual State of the Game Industry Survey Results
- PJ MASKS POWER HEROES: MIGHTY ALLIANCE LAUNCHES MARCH 15th 2024
- SHIFT BETWEEN CAR AND CHARACTER IN ‘CHAMPION SHIFT’ EARLY ACCESS FEB. 29TH
- ‘Luna Abyss’ Extended Demo Released
- Old School RuneScape Winter Summit Reveals 2024 Roadmap
- Cleanlab: From Academic Insight to Practical AI Application
- A Cursed Knight Seeks Vengeance this Valentine’s Day!
- Starting March 15, 2024! The 2nd Niigata International Animation Film Festival