Box Office of ‘The Croods 2’ Tops ‘Judas and the Black Messiah’
‘The Croods 2’ Tops ‘Judas and the Black Messiah’
DreamWorks Animation’s “The Croods: A New Age” topped an anemic domestic box office, grossing just over $2 million in its twelfth week of release. The family film has earned roughly $49 million since it opened last fall. It is eyeing a Presidents’ Day weekend gross of $2.7 million and is playing in 1,890 theaters.
That modest figure was enough to hold off a buzzy new release, “Judas and the Black Messiah.” The galvanic look at Black Panther leader Fred Hampton scored rave reviews and opened to $2 million from 1,888 locations. It is projected to gross $2.4 million and should end the weekend in second or third place. The Warner Bros. release is also debuting simultaneously on HBO Max, following in the footsteps of “Wonder Woman 1984” and “The Little Things,” a thriller with Denzel Washington. “Judas and the Black Messiah” is expected to be a major awards season player — it’s attracting Oscars attention for stars Daniel Kaluuya, Dominique Fishback and Lakeith Stanfield, as well as for director and co-writer Shaka King. If it snags a best picture nod, “Judas and the Black Messiah” will make history as the first film with an all Black producing team to get the top nomination. The studio is also pleased with the film’s A CinemaScore and the positive social media chatter surrounding the picture, believing it signals “Judas and the Black Messiah” could enjoy some box office longevity despite a slower start.
By Brent Lang/Variety
- Beijing Animation Festival | Global Digital Creations Holdings Limited To Cultivate Metaverse Talents And Advance Together With The Digital Industry
- Talk of the city: the Chinese animation film “Deep Sea” is soon to be released
- China cultivates new competitive advantages in cultural trade
- Spin Master Announces Collaboration with Disney for New Animated ‘Firebuds’ Series
- Scorpion return in Mortal Kombat 2?
- Licensing International Releases Annual Global Licensing Industry Study
- 6 in 10 PC and console games sold in 2021 in Germany were purchased as downloads
- Jellish：an experienced producers of high end animation content