Box Office: ‘Rim’ Opens On Top, As ‘Panther’ Adds Records
Wes Anderson’s ‘Isle of Dogs’ does strong business in limited release, as ‘Sherlock Gnomes’ struggles.
Pacific Rim: Uprising unseated Black Panther from its five-week reign atop the weekend box office, while Sherlock Gnomes opened in fourth place and Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs debuted in limited release.
A sequel to the 2013 action feature from Guillermo del Toro, Pacific Rim: Uprising took in slightly more than $28 million at the domestic box office. The film’s earned $122 million at foreign theaters, giving it a $150 million worldwide tally.
Marvel Studios’ Black Panther held on to second place with $16.7 million, bringing its domestic tally to $631 million. With its foreign total of $608 million, it’s earned $1.2 billion worldwide. Its domestic tally moved it past Avengers to make it the top-grossing superhero movie, and one of the top five grossing domestic releases of all time.
Sherlock Gnomes opened with $10.6 million in ticket sales, down from the $25 million 2011 debut of its predecessor, Gnomeo and Juliet. With an international total of $4.6 million, the feature has a $15.2 million worldwide tally to date.
Sony’s Peter Rabbit earned $2.5 million in its seventh weekend of release, giving it a $107 million domestic tally with Easter likely to boost its fortunes next weekend. With $75 million in overseas ticket sales, the movie has grossed $182 million.
Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs opened in limited release, screening at 27 cinemas and doing strong business with $1.6 million in ticket sales. That works out to a booming average of more than $58,000 per theater. The film will expand this week and reach full nationwide release April 6.
Source: Box Office Mojo
- Brussels’ Anima Festival Sets Date, Announces Juries
- Pixar Names First Batch of Voice Stars for ‘Onward’
- Academy to Bestow Nine Sci-Tech Achievement Awards
- “Boonie Bears: Blast Into The Past” will be Released on the New Year’s Day, Running into Two “Pig-IP” Movies in the Spring Festival
- The Animated Film “The Breadwinner” will be Released on Jan. 11th in Mainland China
- “My Neighbor Totoro” by Hayao Miyazaki will be Screened Soon, Releasing “Keeper of the Forest” Poster Now!
- Creating A Stylized Universe for Sony’s ‘Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse’
- Friends Electric Signs Director-Animator Ewan Jones Morris